Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Where have I been all your life?!?

Well friends, it's taken me ten years, but I'm finally posting. Sorry for kind of dropping off the face of the earth!!! I suck.

Anyway, I've had all kinds of ideas for blog posts over the past (three) months, but I've forgotten all of them. So I'm going to take a moment and reminisce on the summer and get you alllll caught up to where we are now.

This summer we...
-Went to the University of Michigan to take lessons and got to know the trumpet and bassoon teachers there. Had a good time. We'd never been to Michigan before, so we checked a new state off our list.
-Went on tour with the BYU chamber orchestra to the Oregon coast. Another state checked off. Enjoyed being the Bus Fun officianados/reinstating the Katie and Joe Talk Show.
-[I] went to New York for my Grandpa Killian's funeral.
-Went to the University of Maryland to check out their teachers. Also had a good time and were amazed by their impressive brand-spanking-new fine arts building (complete with coded practice rooms! Oh baby.)
-In the process, stayed in Ashburn with the Nance and Randinator. We were spoiled rotten and gorged ourselves on Mom Smith's culinary delights.
-[I] had my second and hopefully last gum graft. FUN!
-Worked as Summerfest counselors for the second year in a row. Best. Job. Ever.
-In the process, ate at the Morris Center for a week straight.
-Went to the American Idol concert for my birthday present. You read the posts. Enough said about that.
-Dropped off Sister Weiner at the MTC. Saddest day of my LIFE!
-[I] took my very last GE's during summer semester. For a few weeks, I was convinced I wanted to be an anthropologist and live among the African Bushmen. Then I realized I'd have to live among the African Bushmen. Drinking blood to hydrate onesself = not enticing.
-[Joe] worked hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours as a performance librarian.
-[I] worked not so many hours at BYU Independent Study.
-[I] went on a crash diet a week before graduation in an attempt to look good in my graduation (tent) gown. It consisted of only two foods - celery and peanut butter. It lasted seven hours. I good food poisoning from some dirty celery. The end.
-[I] graduated with the two things I wanted out of BYU - a degree and a husband (and a dang cute one at that!)
-[I] quit Independent Study. After one year of working there, I abandoned my life as an office lady in favor of teaching some undergraduate music classes. Just give me a tweed jacket and call me Professor Nibley!

Which brings us to...now! Joe and I are busy working on graduate applications, practicing our guts out, and still trying to keep it awesome in the process. Joe is also crazy and has his senior recital coming up in just a few weeks!

Sorry for the somewhat boring play-by-play, but I felt it was necessary after my long absence. More entertaining posts to come!

6 comments:

Kristin said...

Yeah for an update!! And I have to say, that celery incident is kind of funny. I'll be anxious to hear where you guys are going to school!

Megan said...

Yay! You guys are so much fun to read about!

Jamie said...

Even your boring posts are hilarious. I didn't know about the celery food poisoning. That's (I don't think funny is the right word, but kinda). We need to have you guys up for dinner...how is November 7th for you?

Anonymous said...

Jamie - Actually, Nov. 7 is Joe's recital! And I'm playing on it too! You guys are invited. It's 7:30 p.m. in the Madsen Recital Hall (where my recitals were).

Unknown said...

What, no pictures? I can't read this without pictures.

amelia said...

Katie, I am totally laughing at your crash diet gone wrong. Hope the food poisoning didn't last long.