Friday, October 15, 2010

Wanna hear a crazy story?

(Note the shoddily self-cut bangs. What?!?)

See this picture? That's me, circa 2007. And that girl that I'm pointing to in the picture, with the blonde hair and white shirt? That's me, circa 2006. That painting recorded an important day in Katie and Joe history that we didn't even know was important until years later. That was the day that we brushed shoulders and didn't even realize it!

Let me explain...

Once upon a time I was a sophomore at BYU on October 6, 2006. My friend Spencer, a trumpet player from my freshman ward, was leaving on his mission and he came down to Provo to say goodbye to all his friends before he left. We met up at the HFAC to reminisce and do lunch at the Cougareat (we ate chicken taco wraps at L&T - it's almost eerie how many details I remember about that day). While meeting at the HFAC, an art major stopped us and asked if he could take a picture of us looking at some artwork in the main gallery. We were going to be subjects in his painting. It was supposed to be a sort of "picture of a person looking at a picture" type of thing. Deep. So we posed for the photo and I remember trying to look very serious and concentrated (very unnatural traits for me). Anyway, we went to the Cougareat and had a grand old time remembering stories from freshman year, speculating about the future, and wondering where we'd be in two years. It was lots of fun and we parted ways back at the HFAC, with me scooting off with my bassoon to E-251 to practice just as Spencer ran into some trumpet friends.

Enter Joe. Joe was fresh, and I mean FRESH, off his mission. Like, he'd been home for 24 hours fresh. I'm not as clear on the details of his side, but he wanted to come back and visit the HFAC - get reacquainted with the place and visit his old music friends, etc. So on October 6, 2006, he was strolling by the rehearsal halls with his trumpet pals when BOOM! I said goodbye to Spencer, rounded the corner to E-251 and didn't look twice at the group of people Spencer was joining. That is when Spencer met Joe. (So strange that Spencer was leaving for his mission right as Joe was coming back.)

About six months later, a painting popped up in the HFAC - a painting of people looking at a painting. I happened upon the painting, freaked out, and took a picture. Because, who wouldn't want a picture of a painting of themselves looking at a painting? And I loved it because it reminded me of my friend Spencer and forever memorialized the last day we hung out before his mission. Little did I know that it also memorialized the first time Joe and I ever crossed paths.

Years later, sometime in the blur of 2008-2009, Joe and I figured this all out and realized we'd crossed paths the day after Joe came home from his mission and I'd said goodbye to Spencer just as Joe was meeting him. And it wasn't until now that I realized this painting will forever mark October 6, 2006 in our history.

Strange how the universe works, huh?

P.S. I don't think Spencer made it into the painting. I guess the back of his head just didn't look serious/concentrated enough!

1 comment:

Spencer Wallin said...

I love it! What I love most, is that I probably met Joe before you. And I'm slightly bothered that they didn't like the back of my head. I mean who wouldn't, just as the percussionists.